Friday, January 2, 2009

Week One Update (I've Got A New Party Trick!)

I want to go over my goals for this contest at least weekly to make sure I am achieving them. I don't want to post them once, and then forget about them. So here they are again, with a summary of how I did this week:

1. I will make every workout count
I did fairly well this week. It was my first week on TT 2K5, so I kept my weights a little lower so I wouldn't be so sore that I couldn't move. I plan to raise the weights on just about everything next week.

2. I will drink less diet soda
Not so good. Still drinking too much. I need to make this goal more specific. I going to try and cut it to 2 diet sodas per day.

3. I will weigh myself ONLY once per week
Well, I didn't weigh myself everyday (hurray!) but did weigh myself more than once (boo!)

4. I will eat 2200-2500 calories per day while building muscle (to be reassessed as needed)
So far, on 2 days I was just under 2200, on 3 days I was right around 2000, and on 1 day I was over (2887).

5. I will eat cleanly, but will allow treat meals
Pretty good. Only one binge-type night (the 2887 calories) where I ate 2 servings of trail mix, 2 servings of no sugar added fat free vanilla ice cream, 2 "smore's", each made with 1 graham cracker, 1/2T marshmallow creme (left over from DD's birthday), and 1/4t lite chocolate syrup, 2/3 of a mini lite vanilla ice cream sandwich, 1 serving diet sugar free hot cocoa, and 1 plain graham cracker. This all stemmed from going off my plan earlier in the day. Need to work on this.

6. I will eat 5-7 fruits/vegetables per day
Tuesday I had only 4, and Thursday is a stretch because I shared a fruit with my son, but otherwise good!

7. I will not worry about gaining extra weight while building muscle
Did well on this. Even though weighed myself more than once, I was never worried about it.

8. I will not be neurotic with my diet
Did OK, for the most part. See goal #5 above for my one night of trouble. It all began when I tried to be fun, flexible, not neurotic Abby, and I got all off kilter from changing my plan on the spot earlier in the day, and my calories got all messed up, and I went a little out of control. When I deviate from my plan, I get in big trouble. It's something I really want to work on this 12 weeks.

9. I will not be grumpy at my family
Did pretty well, even with ttom. LOL But sometimes I am still a little more short with people then I intend to be.

10. I will enjoy the contest and will not allow it to stress me out
So far so good!

And biiiiggggggg drum roll please! I got to the gym a little later than I intended this morning and I was afraid it was going to be busy (January rush), but it was actually pretty empty. I took the opportunity to attempt 1-legged squats using the cable system for counterweight. I put the pin in at 80lbs, thinking that was more than 1/2 my body weight and I might need the extra help. I was actually able to squat down, and get back up easily, so I lowered the weight to 70lbs. That was pretty easy as well so I just decided to try them with no help at all, and I discovered I could do them with no problems. Why the heck did I wait so long to try them with no help?? Next time I do Workout A I am going to try with no help, although I probably will need a little boost from the cable system. I don't know if I can do a full set of 8 on each side. My legs are killing me now! Between the workout this morning and going sledding with the kids this afternoon (my cold is much better), I think I am going to be quite sore tomorrow. Carrying 30lbs of toddler up that sledding hill is a great workout!

1 comment:

Krissa said...

Sounds like you did pretty good then! I need to assess my goals weekly too. A few times I have actually started a self-challenge and forgot about it like three days later. It is good to constantly remind yoursel of what you are striving to achieve. Maybe not constantly but you get the point.

My workouts were pretty good but my diet wasnt soooo hot. I gotta work on the diet dew thing big time. :)

Good luck on week two.