Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Recipe Wednesday

Today's recipe is for Carrot Burgers. I don't make too many meatless main dishes, but I saw this in my Busy Family Cookbook and decided to give it a try. This is my adaptation of the recipe. The recipe originally calls for cornflakes, but I didn't have any on hand so I used Kashi Go Lean. The first time I made this I used the flakes from Abby's Cherry Crunch. Both versions were really good! Experiment with different cereals for different tastes. Some other things I want to experiment with are using tofu instead of the eggs, and also adding a shot of Worcestershire sauce.

6 oz baby carrots (about 28)
2 cups Kashi Go Lean (or cornflakes, etc)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 rib of celery
1 Tablespoon chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 packet Splenda or Stevia or 1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon pepper
6 whole wheat hamburger buns, optional

1. Pulse carrots and celery in a blender, or chop very finely. Cover in a saucepan with the onion in about an inch or so of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until tender (5-10 minutes).

2. While those are boiling, place the cereal in a large plastic bag and crush it. My son enjoys getting to jump up and down on the bag, but a hammer works as well. :)

3. Drain the carrots, celery and onion and combine in a large bowl with the remaining ingredients. If you didn't pulse the veggies in a blender at the beginning, you could do so before combining with the cereal, if desired. Form into 6 patties.


4. Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Spray surface with a little nonstick cooking spray. Cook the patties for about 3 minutes on each side or until browned.

5. Serve on buns, if desired. I've used salsa as a topping, and I've used low sugar ketchup and mustard. You could top this just like a regular burger with the works - mayo, ketchup, lettuce, pickles, etc; or you could just eat it plain with a sprinkle of salt (It's very good that way too! I think I may actually prefer them that way.)



Also, I just wanted to remind everyone that there is less than 18 hours left on the current Turbulence Training special. The early bird bonuses have been taken, but there are still a ton of bonuses (including 6 months free to the forums!) that come with the Original Turbulence Training Manual. This offer ends on noon on Thursday, January 8th. You can check out all of the bonuses here:

Turbulence Training for Fat Loss

Happy eating!

No comments: