Thursday, June 2, 2011

I Am A Marathon Runner

A slow marathon runner, but I finished! And it was a PR! ;)

The first 15 miles went great. This picture was taken just after the 15 mile mark. Still smiling! I was right on pace, averaging a little over 12:00 per mile.

Then it started to rain. And it rained for the next couple hours, during which I finished the remaining 11 miles. I'm not going to lie, I was feeling pretty miserable. I would run a bit, then walk. And when I would walk, my left knee would pop with each step, so I would run. Repeat.

And then it started to lightening and thunder. I had about a mile to go when a woman walked by and said, "You better hurry, they are thinking about closing the course."

Hurry?!?

Well, I decided I wasn't going to get that near to the finish and have the course close on me! I gave that last mile everything that I had left (uphill!)

I felt so proud crossing the finish line, even though my time was 5:43:22. (Thanks to everyone who stood in the rain to cheer for me!!)

A co-worker (who is a marathon runner) hinted to me that since I am a beginner, the next marathon I run will undoubtedly be faster.

NEXT MARATHON?!?!

3 comments:

Kristin Pizzi said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Mark said...

Congrats! That sounds like my first marathon (Vermont 2007) minus the thunder and lightning. I was too miserable to care much about the rain (and it kept me relatively cool).

Did you make it to the tent at the end where they check you out to make sure you are ok? I was in such a daze I missed it and then got lost looking for my family. I couldn't bend over for nearly an hour afterwards. Serious stiffness and pain. I don't think I'll ever run one again.

I did a 1/2 marathon about 6 months later and felt great after it...I can see me doing that again.

Abby said...

Thanks Kristin and Mark!!

Mark - I pretty much went straight from the finish line, to the food, to the car. I just wanted to go home and take a hot shower! I am signed up to run a half marathon in a few months and I am looking forward to it! :)