Saturday, August 8, 2009

Week In Review - Honk If You Love Pluto!

What a great week! Training went well, diet went well - just felt great! Ever since I have been back from vacation, my diet really has been falling into place. I haven't been counting calories at all, and I'm even down a few pounds!

Before vacation, I had started feeling a little out of control. I was eating a few things I shouldn't have been eating in great quantities (i.e., graham crackers, ice cream). I don't know if my new balance has to do with eating more fruits and veggies from the farmer's market, getting more sleep, running more, or if it's something hormonal dealing with leptin, serotonin, cortisol, or whatever. Probably a combination of all of the above, but everything has been great since vacation - so when in doubt, take a vacation! :)

Running went well this week. My legs didn't feel overly sore, and it didn't feel like it was too much. I did modify my plan slightly, so here's what I did (distance and times include warm up and cool down):

Saturday - 5.8 miles/1:19:49

Sunday - 1 mile/11:15

Monday - 4.18 miles/48:00/TT 2K6 B (later)

Tuesday - 4x400 (2:15 each)/3.17 miles/40:00

Wednesday - TT 2K6 A/1 mile (9:00)/2.14 miles total/25:00

Thursday - OFF

Friday - speed drill (see below)/2.00 miles/27:00/TT 2K6 B

Total miles for the week: 18.29 miles

The speed drill is something I found online and decided to try. I walked for 3 minutes, jogged for 8 minutes, then ran for 10 seconds, ran faster for 10 seconds, ran faster yet for 5 seconds, then walked for 1 to 2 minutes and then repeated that 2 more times. Cool down was the reverse of the warm up - jogging 8 minutes and walking for 3 minutes. I had enough time afterward to complete my Turbulence Training workout so I didn't have to do it later in the day. Next week, I will do more repeats so probably won't have time for the TT workout before I have to leave the gym, so I will do it later in the day.

This morning's workout was a 5 mile run. I parked in a ramp near the farmer's market and then ran 1 mile to where the 5K race will be in a couple weeks. I wanted to test out the course. :) There was just one little problem - it started pouring rain (complete with lightening and thunder) about half way through. I stopped in a bus shelter and waited for about 15 minutes, then finally decided to head back. It was still raining (not quite pouring) and by the time I got back to the car, I was soaked. Still, the run felt good, and I feel like my running form is improving. It ended up being 5.13 miles, and it took me 55:40, not including the time I spent in the bus shelter. A much faster average than last week's 5.8 mile run. I'll give this another try next week.

Then I did my shopping at the farmer's market. Luckily, I brought some dry clothes! As I was leaving the parking ramp, I saw my new favorite bumper sticker: "Honk if Pluto's still a Planet."

Honk! Honk! :)

2 comments:

Laurel Kornfeld said...

Pluto is still a planet! Only four percent of the IAU voted on the controversial demotion, and most are not planetary scientists. Their decision was immediately opposed in a formal petition by hundreds of professional astronomers led by Dr. Alan Stern, Principal Investigator of NASA's New Horizons mission to Pluto. You can find out more from my Pluto Blog at http://laurele.livejournal.com

If you really like the bumper sticker, why not order one from Cafe Press? I don't stand to make any money from this; I'm just a strong advocate for Pluto's planet status!

Abby said...

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!