Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Recipe Wednesday - Doughnuts!!

As promised, I'm back with a recipe for doughnuts. I'm still tinkering, though, so look for another doughnut recipe in the future! :) These were really good, and kid approved! You will need a doughnut pan for this recipe.

For the Doughnuts

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1/3 cup ricotta cheese (low fat or fat free)
1/4 cup Splenda
dash of sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup skim milk (or milk substitute)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray the doughnut pan with nonstick spray.

2. Mix the first four (dry) ingredients in a small bowl.

3. In a medium bowl, blend the remaining ingredients. Instead of milk, I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage, mostly because I had it on hand.

4. Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until just blended.

5. Place the batter into a quart size zip-top baggie. Snip a corner off the bottom to pipe the batter into the doughnut pan.

6. Bake for 15 minutes. Makes 15 doughnuts that are about 2.5" in diameter. Frost with frosting recipe below, if desired.


For the Frosting

2 Tablespoons whipped butter
1/4 cup ricotta cheese (low fat or fat free)
2 packets Stevia
5 packets Splenda
1 scoop Milk and Egg Protein
dash sea salt
3-4 Tablespoons water

1. Blend the butter, ricotta, salt and sweeteners until smooth. Beat in the Milk and Egg Protein as best as you can. Add the water, a tablespoon at a time, until smooth and spreadable. I think you could add more water if you wanted more of a glaze, rather than a frosting, but I've never tried doing that.

This makes a frosting that is not super sweet. Adjust the sweetener to your tastes. I store these in the fridge since the frosting recipe contains dairy. And I think they taste better after they sit in the fridge overnight.

Assuming 15 doughnuts, made with fat free ricotta, each one has approximately:

57 calories
3.2g protein
0.5g fat
10.6g carbs
1.7g fiber


Assuming you use all the frosting, each one has approximately:

67 calories
3.6g protein
1.3g fat
11.1g carbs
1.8g fiber


The sprinkles were also kid approved! :)

3 comments:

that70sgrl said...

OMG! Those looks so good! Yummm!!! I'll have to try these out. Your pantry must be CHALK FULL of different proteins & stuff! :) Thanks for posting!

Unknown said...

Abby, those look way too good..I'll have to give them a try soon.

On another front, I've done a couple of workouts this week that made me think of you and running. If you ever get a chance, you may want to try them (they're from Jon LeTocq's Intense Conditioning).

1 Mile Run
300 Jump Rope reps
1 Mile Run
50 Burpees
1 Mile Run
(no rest)

- pretty intense, but pretty cool too.

Below is one I did today and I was amazed by how much I was able to run...

.25 mile run/10 pushups
.25 mile run/9 pushups
do this until you get down to 1 pushup...keep the clock running.

run for the remainder of the 30 minutes @ 70% effort.

Hope all is going well Abby

later, MikeZ

Abby said...

Thanks for stopping by Cathy and Mike!

Cathy - I have a pretty good variety. I like to use different ones for different things. :)

Mike - thanks for the workout! I might have to give that running one a try!