Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Is This Real Food?

So, I was looking through the cupboards in the kitchen/break area at work and found this:


This, my friends, is a jar of crunchy peanut butter that expired in May 2006. Over 3 years ago! Shouldn't it have mold on it or something? I'll admit, it doesn't smell that great, but if mold won't eat it, I don't think I want to either. REAL food rots! (Except for honey. Honey never spoils if kept tightly sealed. Click HERE to find out why.)

Anyway, back to the peanut butter. Here is the ingredient list: Roasted peanuts, sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (cottonseed and rapeseed), salt

Maybe I am being unfair. Does anyone know if natural peanut butter will grow mold if left alone for over 3 years? I did an online search and found conflicting answers on whether peanut butter actually supports growing mold. Anyone have any first hand experience? :)

(P.S. Fred, I sooo wanted to use the vomiting tag for this post, but I didn't taste the peanut butter. I'm sure it would have made me puke. Oh, now I can use the tag! LOL)

No comments: