I made this recipe for dessert on Easter. To my knowledge, I made it up. Not that I made up the idea for a trifle (that would be like saying Al Gore invented the internet), but this particular combination of tofu pudding, fruit, Cool Whip and Nilla Wafers came out of my brain. It's very smooth, creamy and delicious! And no one will guess it's made with tofu, as long as you don't tell them!
Berry Tofu Trifle
2 12oz packages lite silken tofu
1 cup skim milk
2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
4 packets Stevia or Splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla
24 Nilla Wafers, regular or reduced fat, divided (optional)
1 tub Cool Whip Free
1 banana, sliced
1 package fresh raspberries
6 or 7 strawberries, sliced
1. In a food processor, combine the tofu, milk, whey protein powder, vanilla and sweetener. Blend until smooth. If you have a small food processor, blend the ingredients in 2 batches. Press through a screen-type strainer (makes it extra smooth) into a bowl.
2. Place half of the Nilla Wafers on the bottom of a trifle dish. Cover with half of the pudding.
3. Place the banana slices next, followed by half of the raspberries.
4. Next comes half of the tub of Cool Whip. Then, repeat the layers of Nilla Wafers and pudding. Place the strawberry slices (saving a few slices for garnish) and the other half of the raspberries on top.
5. Last, smooth on the remaining half of the Cool Whip tub and top with a few strawberry slices. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
I have no idea how many servings this should be. Probably about 10 or 12. If you divide the recipe by 12, and assuming my math is correct, each serving would have approximately: