Here, as promised, is the recipe for Mama's Pizza Sandwich. This is the original yummy recipe, handed down to me from....my Mama. Next week we will combine this recipe (with a few modifications) with the Mexican Corn Bread recipe from last week to make Mexican Pizza Sandwich. Yum....
Mama's Pizza Sandwich
1 pound ground beef
2 8oz cans tomato sauce
1 teaspoon oregano
2 cups baking mix (such as Bisquick)
2/3 cup milk
8 slices American Cheese (such as Kraft Singles)
1/4 cup dry grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a 9"x9" glass baking pan.
2. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef until no pink remains and then drain the fat. Add 1 of the cans of tomato sauce and the oregano and simmer for about 10 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the Bisquick, egg, and milk.
4. Spread just about 1/2 of this dough on the bottom of the baking pan.
5. Pour the other 8oz can of tomato sauce onto the dough and spread evenly.
6. Place 4 slices of American cheese evenly over the sauce.
7. Place the meat mixture on the cheese.
8. Top with 4 more slices of American cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
9. Top with remaining dough. Make sure to spread it evenly.
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
We usually cut it into 9 large squares. My husband and I have polished this off in one sitting between the two of us, but I'm sure it's supposed to serve 4-6. :) Not the most nutritious dish, but darn tasty. It's a family favorite from my childhood.