Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Recipe Wednesday - Greek Chicken Pitas

This is my adaption of the Greek Chicken Pita recipe in the Eating for Life cookbook. I've been eating these since I did my first Body for Life Challenge about 4 years ago!

Greek Chicken Pitas

1 small chicken breast (about 4 oz)
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup cool water
fresh ground black pepper
about 2" of an English cucumber
1 clove garlic, chopped
2-3T plain yogurt (fat free or low fat)
1 whole grain pita, cut in half
1/2 small tomato, chopped
1/4 red onion, sliced
1/4 cup spinach leaves

1. In a small plastic baggie, combine the chicken, lemon, water and pepper. Let marinate in the refrigerator for about 15-30 minutes.

2. In a blender or food processor, pulse the cucumber, garlic, and yogurt. I like to add a little extra lemon juice and black pepper here as well.

3. Cook the chicken either in a skillet or on a grill until no longer pink inside. Let cool for a little bit and then cut into bite-sized pieces.

4. Assemble the pita halves with the chicken on the bottom. Pour some of the cucumber sauce on top. Add the tomato, onion and spinach.

Eat both halves yourself, or share with a friend! I have found that I can stretch this amount of sauce to 4 pita halves if I don't make each one too saucy.


The entire recipe has approximately (with fat free yogurt):

362 calories
36g protein
1.8g fat
49.3g carbs
10.1g fiber

The fiber content will depend a lot on the kind of pitas you get.

No comments: