This is quick, easy and yummy! My 5-year-old son, who usually refuses to eat chicken unless it has a breading of some kind, ate an entire chicken breast all by himself!
Apple Ginger Chicken
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 5-6 oz each)
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
2 Tablespoons unsulphured molasses
2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger
salt and pepper, to taste
3/4 cup dry brown rice
12 oz chicken broth or water
3 small or 2 large apples, cored and sliced
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet or jelly roll pan with foil and spray with a little nonstick spray.
2. Melt the butter either in the microwave or on the stove. Place in a bowl and add the molasses, ginger, salt and pepper. Mix well and pour into a large resealable plastic bag.
3. Add the chicken breasts to the marinade and let sit in the fridge for 10 to 15 minutes. I say "5-6 oz" for the chicken breasts because the ones that I buy are that big. Feel free to use whatever size you have on hand.
4. While the chicken is marinating, start the brown rice by placing the chicken broth or water and rice in a saucepan with a tight fitting lid. Bring up to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
5. When the chicken is done marinating, place on the baking sheet along with the cut up apples. Place in the oven for about 10 minutes.
6. Turn on the broiler (I used the low setting). Remove the apples from the baking sheet and place in the pan with the rice, adding a little more water if necessary. Turn the chicken over and broil for about 15 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
7. Divide the rice and apples between 3 plates. Add the chicken breast and serve.
Each serving (including chicken, rice and apple) has approximately:
60g carbs (mostly from the brown rice and apple)