As some of you may know, I love casseroles. I adapted this from a recipe in the original Gourmet Nutrition recipe book (part of the Precision Nutrition package). As a quick side note, Gourmet Nutrition V2 would make a lovely Holiday gift for the fit food lover on your list (wink, wink).
Turkey Zucchini Casserole
8 oz extra lean ground turkey breast
2 Tablespoons salsa
1/4 to 1/2 of a small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small to medium zucchini
1 cup fat free or low fat cottage cheese (I used low fat)
sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 1.5 quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. Roughly chop the zucchini and then pulse in a food processor. Just pulse, don't puree.
3. Lightly spray a large skillet with nonstick spray and cook the turkey until no pink remains. Stir in the 2T of salsa and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove from the pan and place in the prepared casserole dish.
4. Respray the skillet with a somewhat heavier layer of nonstick spray. Add the onions to the pan and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Next stir in the zucchini and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in the food processor, blend the cottage cheese and egg until smooth. Don't worry if there is still zucchini in the processor's bowl, it's all going to the same place. :)
6. Next place the zucchini mixture on top of the turkey in the casserole dish, then top with the cottage cheese mixture.
7. Bake for 25 minutes. Top with the mozzarella cheese and bake for 5 minutes more.
Makes 2 servings, each with approximately:
Disclosure: This post contains an affiliate link. If you purchase the product, I will receive a small portion. I don't get paid for reviews, and I only review items that I actually own.