Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Whew, What A Day!

Today definitely took it's toll on me. It was my son's first day of kindergarten! :)

I started the day at the gym, as usual, but got to sleep in (all the way to 5:45am)! I didn't go to work at my normal time so that I could make breakfast for the family (promised my son pancakes) and to take my son to school for his first day.

My workout went well. I did the TT intervals, which, in this particular program, were quite similar to what I had been doing on Tuesdays to improve my running. I warmed up, then ran 2 minutes followed by walking for for 2 minutes. The first 4 intervals I did the 2 minute run at my target "race pace" which is 9:00/mile (6.7 mph). For the last 2 intervals, I used an 8 minute mile as my target and ran the 2 minutes at 7.5 mph. I think next week I will do more intervals at 7.5 mph!

When I got home, I started making the pancakes for breakfast. I was using the recipe from the Eat Clean Diet Cookbook. I beat the egg whites, and mixed the other stuff in the food processor. The last thing I added was the canola oil. I blended it in and then, as I was pouring the mixture into the egg whites, I remembered that the canola oil had gone rancid. Why I hadn't thrown it away yet I have no idea.

I had to scrap those pancakes. There was no way I could serve them to my children. My husband, maybe. ;) Just kidding!

So now I have no pancakes, and I promised my son pancakes, and I'm looking around my kitchen for stuff to make pancakes, because I used up the last of my packaged egg whites in the rancid pancakes, and don't have enough eggs to start the recipe over, and the kids are sitting at the table waiting for PANCAKES!


Then, I remembered I had a box of Bisquick baking mix in the back of the fridge. Well, it wasn't EXACTLY what I had in mind, but it makes quick pancakes. I tried to "healthy it up" by adding pumpkin, blueberries, wheat germ and flaxseed. My son liked them anyway. ;)

We went to his school and took the prerequisite photos out in front of the school, standing in front of his locker, etc. Then we went back outside and stood in line with the rest of his class. As the class filed in, I tried my best to let him walk in by himself, but he was getting farther behind, and looking more and more lost, and the hallway was quite busy with kids, and I could see him becoming disoriented, and I wanted him to be able to do it by himself, but really wanted to hold his hand too. It was very overwhelming. For him too, I mean. :)

We dropped him off in his classroom and I went to work and bit my fingernails for 3 hours. Then we went back and picked him up from school.

Me: "How was your day today?"
Him: "Good."
Me" "Did you do anything fun?"
Him: "Yes."
Me: "What did you do?"
Him: "I don't remember now."

Since I left work early to pick up my son from school, I had a brief amount of time to do a little shopping before dinner. After shopping, I was near a tanning salon and thought I might stop by and tan for 5 minutes. I thought it might be relaxing after my stressful day. LOL

Upon arriving at the tanning salon, I heard either my conscience or my dermatologist's voice (tanning bad, tanning bad). So instead, I used the...Hydration Station! From their website: The Hydration Station™ is a combination of topical radiant heat and steam, LED color technology, and a vibratory bed in an advanced capsule.

Well, I turned the vibrating part off right away. That was highly annoying. The rest, however, was quite relaxing, and I felt refreshed afterward. It was like being in a steam room, but while lying down. I think I may have even dozed off for a minute...

Then I went home and started dinner - pork loin, fingerling potatoes, and musk melon. Yum! I cut the fingerlings into halves and quarters, baked them in the oven, and called them french fries. To my surprise, even though they weren't "french fry" shaped, the kids loved them! Hurray!

Got to get the kids off to bed soon. It's a school night! Boy, it feels weird to say that! :)


Primal Mama said...

Don't you just love it when you have a meal planned and find out at the last minute that you can't use one of the ingredients:)

Abby said...

What made me mad was that I HAD another bottle of canola on hand, I just grabbed the wrong one! :)