Thursday, December 4, 2008

Recipe Wednesday...ummm..Thursday

OK, I totally spaced that yesterday was Wednesday. What's my excuse? Well...I was watching the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show last night. I use "Fashion Show" loosely. Kind of inspiring though to watch a bunch of skinny minnies prancing in their underwear. I did jumping jack intervals while watching. :)

But on to the recipe...

I found a recipe for the most delicious carrot cupcakes. These were the most moist cupcakes I think I have ever had. The recipe said it would make 12 cupcakes, but I got 18 out of it. Maybe my princess cupcake papers were a little smaller than the normal size. You'll results may vary depending on how much batter your muffin tin will hold. I got this recipe from The Cake Mix Doctor Cookbook. And don't raise your eyebrows at the prunes, they're the secret ingredient.

Cake:
1/2 cup pitted prunes (about 12 prunes)
1/4 cup hot water
1 package (18.25 oz) plain yellow cake mix
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple in juice, drained
1 cup grated carrots (about 3 medium, or 14 baby carrots)

Frosting:
4 oz neufchatel cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup marshmallow creme


1. Preheat oven to 350. Place cupcake papers in your muffin tins, if using. Or lightly mist your muffin pans with cooking spray.

2. Place the prunes and hot water in a food processor and pulse until the prunes are finely chopped. Set aside.

3. Place the cake mix, oil, eggs, cinnamon and prune puree in a large mixing bowl and blend with an electric mixer for 1 minute on low speed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. The batter will be thick.

4. Fold in the drained pineapple and carrots. Pour into cupcake papers until about 3/4 full.

5. Bake for about 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

6. While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the frosting. Place the neufchatel cheese and marshmallow creme in a medium mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy.

7. When the cupcakes have cooled, top with a thin layer of frosting. Sprinkle chopped pecans or walnuts on top, if desired.

With my particular ingredients, and if you make 18, each cupcake has:

188 calories

2.1g protein

6.2g fat

31.5 carbs


No comments: