Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tasty Tuesday - Black Bean Burgers

These were awesome! My son plowed through his burger and I don't think it ever occurred to him that it wasn't made out of ground beef. This recipe is adapted from Tosca Reno's new Eat Clean Cookbook.

Black Bean Burgers

15oz can black beans
1/2 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 small carrot, grated
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
2 egg whites
1/2 cup wheat bran
2 Tablespoons cashew butter
2 Tablespoons pumpkin puree
2 Tablespoons ground flax
2 Tablespoons sunflower seeds, ground
dash Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

2. Place everything into a food processor and blend until smooth.

3. Spoon mixture onto parchment paper. I made 9 burgers.

4. Bake for about 20 minutes.

Sorry about the small picture. If I make it bigger it looks all fuzzy. I used a sprouted grain bun and topped mine with a little agave-sweetened ketchup, mustard, pickles, tomato, leaf lettuce, and half a wedge of laughing cow light cheese. :)


If you make 9 like I did, just the patty will have approximately:

109 calories
5.8g protein
4.7g fat
13.0g carbs
4.0g fiber

These freeze really well - so put your leftovers in the freezer and enjoy when you need a quick meal.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YUM! These look fantastic Abby! I need to pick up this book! I hear she's included tons more veggie options in this one. Thanks for the post/ share!