This recipe was pretty much made up on the spot, but it tasted really good. When I was a kid, my favorite dish was tater tot casserole. For some reason, this reminded me of that - it was just a big plate of comfort food. I didn't know what to call it, hence the really generic name! Anyone have any better ideas?
Beef Cauliflower Casserole
4 oz lean ground beef
1/4 cup (dry) long grain brown rice
1 + 1/3 cup (170g) frozen cauliflower
1/4 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup + about 3/4 cup water, divided
salt and pepper
garam masala (optional)
1. In a sauce pan with a lid, place rice and 1/2 cup water. As the water level decreases, add up to 3/4 cup more water to the pan about 1/4 cup at a time.
2. In a skillet, place the 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add the onions and cook for a couple minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more. Add the ground beef and cook until no pink remains.
3. During the last 10 minutes of the rice cooking, add the cauliflower to the saucepan. Add a little more water if the rice is dry.
4. To the skillet, add a little water to deglaze the pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Also consider adding a sprinkle each of cinnamon and garam masala. Cook until the water is gone.
5. When the rice/cauliflower is done, add the beef mixture to the pan. Mix and serve. Or just put the rice/cauliflower on your plate and put the meat on top.
Sorry about the bad picture. I think it looks a little foggy because it was still steaming hot when I took the picture!
As one serving, this has approximately: