Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Recipe Wednesday - Pumpkin Pancakes

I've had a few people ask me for a recipe for pumpkin pancakes. I've tried a few different versions, but I made this recently and they were delicious.

Pumpkin Pancakes

1/4 cup low fat or fat free ricotta cheese
2 Tablespoon canned pumpkin puree
1 egg
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1. Separate the egg, placing the white and the yolk in separate bowls. I do this by cracking the egg and rolling the yolk back and forth from shell half to shell half (the white will fall into the bowl).

2. Beat the egg white until the peaks are nearly stiff. You know you are there when you stop your mixer and the peaks stay standing after you remove the beater.

3. Now beat the yolk until it thickens a little bit. This should only take a minute or two. Add the ricotta cheese, lemon juice and pumpkin to the yolk and mix well.

4. Add the flour, baking powder and spices to the yolk bowl. Stir well.

5. Next, fold in the egg whites until completely blended. The batter will be a little thick.

6. Drop by tablespoon onto a hot griddle sprayed with a little nonstick cooking spray. I like to use just a tablespoon or so per pancake because the batter is so thick. After putting the batter on the griddle, spread the pancake out so that it is thinner. Flip when the edges are dry and cook on the other side for a few minutes. Serve sprinkled with a little extra cinnamon and maybe a little butter or sugar free pancake syrup.

I made 9 small pancakes. It's just about right for one serving, if you are just having pancakes. If you are pairing these with eggs or some other accompaniments, then this may serve two.

The entire recipe has approximately:

150 calories
13.5g protein
4.3g fat
11.7g carbs
2.3g fiber

3 comments:

Marissa said...

These look really good! I also noticed we have kids the same age!! Good luck with your goals! And keep these yummy recipes coming!

Witchazel said...

Hi, I have just followed your recipes through to Precision Nutrition... Hope you don't mind me asing but...
Do you still use this system??
Since you have had it since January do you think it's worth buying?

Abby said...

Hello! And thanks for stopping by! I definitely do not regret purchasing PN in January. I still use many of the recipes quite frequently; however, I don't always follow the timing of the meals (anytime vs. post workout). Even so, it's a solid nutrition plan and every recipe I have tried has been really good!