Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Recipe Wednesday - Thin Crust Pizza

Today's recipe is one that I love. It's so good! In Gourmet Nutrition, there is a recipe for Texas Thin Crust Pizza, which is a very good recipe. But over time I have tweaked it and this is my version. It's still best for a special dinner, as it has a lot of calories, but it is very filling and tasty when you want pizza!

Thin Crust Pizza

1 large or 2 small whole wheat/low carb tortillas
1 link of sweet italian or spicy turkey sausage
1/4 cup salsa
1t minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
1/2 small can chunk pineapple in juice, drained (about 1/2 cup)
4-6 cherry tomatoes, or 1/2 of a small tomato
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Chop the cherry tomatoes in quarters (or chop the small tomato).
3. Place the tortillas on a baking sheet that has been lightly coated with cooking spray. Place in the oven.
4. Remove the sausage from it's casing and place in a hot skillet. Cook until no pink remains.
5. While the sausage is cooking, flip over the tortillas. If they are getting too brown, remove them from the oven.
6. When the sausage is done cooking, add the garlic, salsa, pineapple, tomatoes. Cook together for a few minutes.
7. Take the tortillas out of the oven (if you haven't already). Place the meat mixture on the 1 large or 2 small tortillas and top with cheese. If I am using 1 large tortilla, I just use 1/4 cup. If I am using 2 small tortillas, I use closer to a 1/2 cup.
8. Place pizzas back in the oven until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes or so.
9. I use a pizza cutter to cut the pizzas into quarters. Enjoy!

Yes, I eat both when I use 2 small tortillas! And I usually eat the other half of the can of pineapple on the side. I've also made this with sun dried tomato pesto instead of salsa.

Using 2 small tortillas, 4 cherry tomatoes, and 1/2 cup cheese, this has approximately:
515 calories
44g protein
26g fat
45g carbs
16g fiber

Using 1 large tortilla, and 1/4 cup cheese, this has approximately:
418 calories
33g protein
19g fat
42g carbs
14g fiber
You could further reduce the calories by making it with 2 small tortillas, and then eating only one of the pizzas. Just make a salad to go with it and you'd have a nice healthy meal. And then the pizza would only have about 257 calories, 22g protein, 23 carbs, and 8g fiber.

No comments: